How to get your motorcycle licence

POSTED: 29/04/2020

KTM 790 ADVENTURE (A2 & A Licence)

KTM 790 ADVENTURE (A2 & A Licence)

KTM 125 DUKE (A1 Licence)

KTM 125 DUKE (A1 Licence)

KTM RC 390 (A2 Licence)

KTM RC 390 (A2 Licence)

Getting a motorcycle licence can seem daunting, with different tests available depending on your age and experience, so we’ve put together a guide showing you what you need to do to get on two wheels or progress through the licences.

First things first, if you don’t have a licence (motorcycle or car) you’ll need to apply for a provisional licence from the DVLA, which allows you to start the process off.

Before applying for any tests, all new riders have to complete a CBT course - Compulsory Basic Training. This is a day-long training session which must be completed by anyone wanting to ride on the road. A CBT is usually completed on a 125 cc machine. KTM have two choices here, The KTM 125 DUKE and KTM RC 125. These bikes are both single cylinder, 125 cc machines delivering class-leading performance with low fuel consumption to keep you riding longer. The CBT lasts for two years so if you've not passed your test within that time, you'll need to take it again. 

Once you’ve passed your CBT, you’ll need to take your bike theory test, which you can apply for on the website. This involves answering a number of multiple choice questions and a hazard perception exercise. The test is taken at your local DVLA test centre and will cost £23.

Regardless of the level of test you're taking – A1, A2 or A – it will be split into a two modules, Module 1 and Module 2.

Module 1 is completed at a specialised test centre whereas Module 2 is out on the roads around the test centre. Module 1 will cost around £165 with training and Module 2 will cost around £195. The Module 2 test normally takes about 40 minutes and includes some set manoeuvres followed by 10 minutes of independent riding with an examiner following.

If you’re 16 or over you can apply for the AM Licence allowing you to ride a bike up to 50 cc.

When you’re 17 you can apply for your A1 Licence on a bike up to 125 cc like a KTM 125 DUKE or KTM RC 125.

The A2 Licence is for those over 19 on a bike between 27 to 47 bhp - like a KTM 390 DUKE or KTM RC 390, powerful and packed with performance for a thrilling ride. A dealer can also electronically restrict the KTM 690 SMC R, KTM 690 ENDURO R, KTM 790 ADVENTURE and KTM 790 ADVENTURE R to make them A2 complaint. There's also the KTM 790 DUKE ‘L’ that has slightly less power as standard so that it can be made into an A2 compliant machine. Due to power-to-weight restrictions, you will be unable to ride any of KTM's Offroad models on an A2 licence. For the A2 test itself you have to take your test on a bike over 395 cc.

An A licence allows you to ride any bike regardless of its size, but you need to do your test on a bike bigger than 595 cc and weighing over 180kg, for example any bike in the KTM 790 and KTM 1290 range. You can take this test two years after you pass the A2 test, otherwise you need to be at least 24.

All authorised KTM dealers in the UK have associations with local training schools. Contact your nearest dealer for more information.

See our quick glance guide below before planning your test.

© Copyright 2024 Blade Motorcycles. All rights reserved

Blade Motor Cycles Limited is an Appointed Representative of Automotive Compliance Ltd, who is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA No 497010). Automotive Compliance Ltd’s permissions as a Principal Firm allows Blade Motor Cycles Limited to act as a credit broker, not as a lender, for the introduction to a limited number of lenders and to act as an agent on behalf of the insurer for insurance distribution activities only.

Powered by DealerWEBS DealerWEBS™